Monday, September 28, 2009

Lord, I miss you child . . .

One of the most popular questions that our friends ask us is "Do you miss the city?" As of right now, the answer is no. I think we were ready for our move to Marin, even way before it happened. Let's face our days of going out in the city late night and other stuff like were slowly coming to a close. (Sorry Ben!)

There is one thing that I just cannot get over. I miss the Video Nook. Holy Crap, I miss the Video Nook! For a long time we have resisted the Netflix deal, because the Video Nook was so close. I mean we could see their front door from our old deck. Every Sunday we'd head down to the Nook and pick out a video. The employees would help us if we had no idea what to rent. They would also ask for our opinions after we watched movies. On several occasions when a new movie would be released, it would be gone from the shelves. All we had to do was ask and we'd get the special "under the counter" videos that the employees would hide for people like us. They didn't even have to ask our names when we checked out. They knew us. Now we don't have a local video store, and I just cannot become a member to Netflix. This is due to the fact that for years Netflix was the evil corporate machine putting the places like the Video Nook out of business. The Video Nook is still too fresh in the brain to emotionally destroy them by becoming a member of Netflix. Instead of a local video store, we solved this issue by getting HBO.

I miss the human interaction of the Video Nook; the commentary of the movies we were about to rent, the selection of indie, documentaries and foreign films, and the secret hidden new release movies. Video Nook, I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment