Sunday, September 27, 2009

Recap of the Tour!

Yesterday was a great day! The organizers of the tour believe about 1500 people came. There were 20 homes on the tour. I am still not sure how your home gets to be on the tour, but moving on.

The home I was a docent on was only letting 12 people in at a time, so there was usually a line outside. For a while I was inside the home directing people and pointing out some great accents. For example, upstairs there was a personal sized sauna. The portholes in the home were originally from a Liberty Ship. (There is a liberty ship in san francisco that you can tour, the glorious Jeremiah O'Brien.) The living space was split between two levels so people find that interesting. Overall, a good day, and I learned something about how El Nino is doing something to the seals in the bay. Then I went outside and held people in the line and was able to chat and answer questions. As we all stood in the sun on the dock.

I wanted to share some questions and tidbits from yesterday.
Visitor #1: Do you live on the dock?
Ann: Yes, I do, just down the way. My husband and I moved here about a month ago
Visitor #1: Can I see it?
Ann: Ah, no. It isn't open today.
Visitor #1: Why?
Ann: (Seriously, are you asking me this?)

Visitor #2: Can you feel the homes move?
Ann: Sometimes you can see them move at high tide, but not really. (I know how to tackle this one)

Visitor #3: Where do the children go to school?
Ann: WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We have a small one room school house at the end of each dock where the children learn the ways of the world together. I should mention that the teachers are seals.
Ann's Real Answer: Since we are apart of school district I would say they go to school there.
Visitor #3: Oh yea, that makes sense.

Visitor #4: Does the money raised today go to fight the city?
Ann: I assume you are referring the houseboat wars of the 1960s and 70s. These days, we and the city and the neighbors all get along. In fact the money raised today will be put back into our housing association. (Yea, I am not really sure what the money raise for today was going to be used for, and that seemed like a good answer.)

Tidbits:
I got to talk to a really intoxicated lady from Europe. Let's just say I am glad 1) that she wasn't driving and 2) when she left the house.
Some people who did not have tickets tried to sneak on, I had to stop them. Now if they would have just walked right on like they should have been there, then they would have gotten to see it!
No one stole anything, not on my watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment