Friday, September 18, 2009

Things to do in the Hood


A couple of weeks ago friends dropped off a kayak, Old Yeller. (Guess what it is yellow) She sits next to Haddie, our red Zodiac. They both live on our floating dock off of our floating home. Ben has gone out a couple of times in Old Yeller. This week in the calm of the morning I have gone out and paddled around. Yes, I have checked the tidal charts to see what the current is doing as well as where the tide will be. It would be unfortunate if I went out for a paddle then had to drag her home in the mud. Also I have found out that the mud stains clothing, this was discovered after the lock rescue mission. Note: stay away from the mud. (there will be another story later about things I want to dig out of the mud)

Each time I have gone out for about 45 mins or so. After you get over the fact that you are only about 5 inches off the water, it becomes relaxing. I grew up paddling a canoe, but this is a bit different, but yet sort of the same. At least for a while I have Richardson Bay to myself, besides the birds. Yesterday, I saw a cute little seal, seriously they are dogs of the sea. Maybe next time I should bring my camera, there is a waterproof bag in Old Yeller. Going for a kayak is similar to going for a walk in Golden Gate Park.

The interesting thing is that most homes on our pier have boats. There are ski boats, zodiacs, Boston whalers, row boats, old sail boats that looks like they haven't moved in years, sea kayaks, and canoes. These boats apparently become an outlet to embrace the fact that you live on water, and is the replacement for going on a walk. Kayaking is not something we could do from our back door at 128, we would have fallen off the deck. The sad thing is that this is not something we can do together, since it only seats one. I will say that going out for a paddle is a nice benefit of having not only a kayak but a place to put it and use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment