Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tsunami, We're Ready! Um, Sort of . . .

It is that time in the afternoon when I log into the Chronicle for the Daily Dish, which is the gossip column. Today I was greeted with a headline of "Tsunami Advisory Issued for West Coast". Ok. Alright. Should I freak out now? So I click.

And begin to read. Apparently waves will hit between this evening at about 9pm to tomorrow morning. The waves sizes are going to be between 12 and 26 inches. Wait, so that is it? We should look out for waves between the size of 1 and 3 feet. By definition a tsunami is a giant wave produced by an earthquake. I am not sure if I would classifly 1-3 feet giant. MMmmmm.

Usually when I think about tsunamis I think about a huge 60 foot wave coming toward us, not an extra three feet. Does an extra three feet concern me, well no not really. I am lying. Yes I have a concern. It revolves around the parking lot and if it is going to flood. I will now head outside and move my car. That is about it. High tide is at 9:16pm and is at 5.1, ok so let's do some math. If the tsunami hits, the new tide line will be 8.1 feet. Doable, wont be the highest high tide we've seen, nor the lowest.

How about this, if anything amazing happens I will let you know, but I have a feeling it is going to be an normal evening around here. (I hope!) Ok time to go and move my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment